Thursday 13 January 2011

Time for a 'virtual visit' to This'n'That!

Now that Christmas is over lots more vintage stock creeping back in and most of the remaining 'gift' lines are reduced, though I wouldn't actually call it a sale!

Enid Blyton continues to be a favourite! We have the usual stock of her books, school posters and some Enid Blyton Magazines and school reading books.


Wonderful old girls' annuals for 'old girls' like me!


Also, old annuals and books for 'old boys' like Mr Fixit!


I'll be off searching for more early Penguin and Puffin books. They sold well and I'm in need of 'top-up' stock. The shop also sells the Penguin and Puffin book cover postcards at 50p each or just £14.99 for a box of 100 .... great value!


When buying old books in quantity I often find some with missing pages, scribble or just too ragged to sell. We save these and have then made into novelty bunting to sell.


I'm still having to limit the vintage book shelves. Otherwise, This'n'That would rapidly become a bookshop and lines like the 'gardener gifts' would be squezeed out.


We try to maintain collections of sailing, gardening and cricket books too so I'm off hunting for stock to keep the shelves topped up through the summer.


I recently bought a lovelt collection of music, The artwork on the covers is just great!


Rosey Reed's shell and driftwood pieces bring a bit of the coast into the shop. She lives in Somerset and collects all of her own driftwood and beachcombings.


The old pine dresser gets regularly replenished. Vintage jelly moulds have become increasingly popular since recipe books featuring great jellies (with alcohol) for grown ups!! .... a little hint ... the vegetarian jellies just don't work that well. They turn out and then ... GLOOP ....its all collapsed!!


So pleased when I was able to add a collection of 'herry B' glasses alongside our usual Babycham glasses. We've even got 'Pony' and 'Britvic' too.



The little blue armchair is a pipe stand.

The contents of the shelves in the back of the shop chop and change regularly and are always worth browsing through. I try to keep breakables high up and then parents with little children can relax a bit:)

4 comments:

  1. how I love your shop!! When I next go to England its on top of my list of "to visit" site :)
    Until then I really enjoy the photos, gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello, loved the tour can't wait to visit your shop , what a great selection of vintage books kind regards Tudor Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello . enjoyed thr tour !! can't wait to visit your shop in he naer future , love all the vintage books kind regards Tudor Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed by your Enid Blyton arsenal. I am glad to inform you that have written and published a book on Enid Blyton, titled, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage (www.thefamousfiveapersonalanecdotage.blogspot.com).
    Stephen Isabirye

    ReplyDelete